Title : Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series
link : Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series
Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series
Queensland's State of Origin side faces more change after veteran full-back Billy Slater announced he would end his Origin career after this year's series.
"To be honest I feel the pressure is released by telling everyone and letting people know," Slater said at a press conference on Tuesday morning.
"The pressure is always there, you've got to perform in front of four million people, that doesn't change."
Slater, who has played 29 times for the Maroons, said he wasn't sure if he would continue playing in the NRL for the Melbourne Storm next year but said "it just feels like time" to call an end to his Origin career.
"It's been a great ride," Slater said.
"If you asked me as a little boy what I wanted to do and it was play for Queensland and Australia and be like Allan Langer.
"I was able to fulfil a childhood dream."
Asked whether he felt the Maroons would play to win his farewell series for him, Slater replied: "I want them to do it for Queensland, and for themselves.
"Positions get filled pretty quickly," he added. "People get their opportunities, don't they?
"There are some guys upstairs who have got their opportunities (now).
"They'll want to be in those moments that Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer have been in previous years.
"We've been in these moments — and now it's their turn."
The announcement comes after Maroons captain Cameron Smith retired from representative football ahead of the series.
The Queensland full-back's news means that the end of this series will break the final link with the famous quartet of Smith, Slater, Thurston and Cooper Cronk — after Thurston and Cronk bowed out of representative football after last year's series win over New South Wales.
Slater made his Origin debut in 2004 and has been a major cog in the all-conquering Maroons machine that has taken out 11 of the past 12 series.
"Billy epitomises what State of Origin is all about. A boy from the bush to make it in the big smoke and turned the rugby league world upside down," Walters said of the Innisfail-bred Slater.
"He changed the way full-backs play the game. And for Queensland to have a player like Slater in the team has been a dream."
Asked whether he felt the Maroons would 'do it for Billy' this year, Slater said: "I want them to do it for Queensland, and for themselves.
"We (Smith, Slater, Thurston, Cronk) have been in these moments and now it's their turn."
ABC/AAP
Thus Article Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series
You are now reading the article Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series with the link address https://coneknews.blogspot.com/2018/05/billy-slater-announces-2018-will-be-his.html
0 Response to "Billy Slater announces 2018 will be his final State of Origin series"
Post a Comment