Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance

Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance - Hallo friendsGOOD OF CONEX NEWS, In the article you read this time with the title Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance, We have prepared this article for you to read and retrieve information therein. Hopefully the contents of postings Article health, Article news, Article sport, Article tips, Article treatment, We write this you can understand. Alright, good read.

Title : Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance
link : Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance

Read too


Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance

New Acland coal mine
Related Story: Acland coal mine expansion uncertainty leaves jobs in limbo
Related Story: Acland mine expansion should be scrapped, court rules

Queensland's Environment Department has thrown embattled miner New Acland Coal a lifeline, despite its historic loss in the Land Court last year.

The court recommended against the coal mine's expansion into agricultural land on Queensland's Darling Downs, mainly because of uncertainty as to how it would affect long-term groundwater supplies.

But 7.30 has learned that despite the court's ruling, the Environment Department invited New Acland Coal to submit new water modelling late last year.

In a letter tothe department, dated October 3, New Acland Coal forwarded further new data which it argued provided "a great increase in confidence" of groundwater impacts.

"I think it stinks," said cattle breeder Frank Ashman — one of more than 20 landholders objecting to the mine expansion.

"Departments should be working for all and sundry in the best interests of everybody."

Frank Ashman next to a blue tractor

But the chief financial officer of New Hope, the parent company of New Acland Coal, said it was a fair process.

"If there's an issue with something, I think the right thing to do is to look at what the issue was and try to resolve it," Matthew Busch told 7.30.

'Confident the mine will go ahead'

The Environment Department is expected to announce tomorrow whether it will grant the mine an environmental authority — the first step before obtaining a mining licence — and the new water modelling could be the deciding factor.

"We are confident the mine will go ahead," Mr Busch said.

"We're committed to doing that not just for the hundreds of employees that are dependent on it, but more importantly we've got the community that want this to go ahead," he said.

Men and women sit in a hall watching a speaker

Despite New Acland Coal's claims of strong local support, the Land Court found there was deep division in the community.

The Palaszczuk Labor Government has yet to declare its position on the controversial mine, citing a judicial challenge to the court's finding due to be heard next month.

The person ultimately responsible for deciding whether to grant the mining licence is Natural Resources Minister Anthony Lynham, who did not respond to 7.30's request for an interview.

Under Queensland law, Mr Lynham also had an opportunity to offer advice to the department about how to handle New Acland Coal's application for an environmental authority.

His office has confirmed the minister declined to offer any such advice.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Thus Article Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance

That's an article Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance This time, hopefully can give benefits to all of you. well, see you in posting other articles.

You are now reading the article Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance with the link address https://coneknews.blogspot.com/2018/02/queensland-gives-new-acland-coal-mine.html

Subscribe to receive free email updates:

Related Posts :

0 Response to "Queensland gives New Acland Coal mine expansion second chance"

Post a Comment